STA Award in Swimming Teaching
The STA Award in Swimming Teaching aims to produce teachers that can teach up to 10 beginners and deliver the STAnley Series of awards, as well as the Octopus and Goldfish Series of STA’s International Learn to Swim Programme.
They may also act as an assistant swimming teacher and can teach larger classes or advanced skills under the direct supervision of a swimming teacher qualified to certificate level.
- Available Regulators
Qualification Number: 600/2481/1
Title: STA Level 2 Award in Swimming Teaching
Credit Value: 7 Credits
Qualification Number: R240 04
Title: STA Professional Award in Teaching Swimming at SCQF Level 6
Credit Value: 4 Credits
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Hold current membership of STA
- Hold the Safety Award for Teachers or acceptable equivalent
- Hold the STA Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults certificate or acceptable equivalent
Qualification certificates will not be issued until all pre-requisites have been supplied. If requested pre-requisites are not supplied within 12 months of the course end date, the qualification will expire.
- Validity of Award
This qualification does not expire.
To remain as an STA-approved swimming teacher, and to receive the benefit of STA public liability insurance, holders of this qualification are required to:
- Remain in membership of STA
- Keep their knowledge and skills up-to-date with regular CPDs
- Keep their pre-requisite lifesaving qualification in-date
- Regularly update their DBS check
- Length of Course
The course may be run over 4 days, but can also be delivered over a period of weeks, with the minimum of each training session being 2 hours.
- Mandatory Units
- Understanding the Elementary Scientific Principles Relevant to Swimming
- Planning, Preparing and Teaching Swimming
- Understanding the Principles of Safe and Equitable Coaching Practice
- Assessment Criteria
- Complete a portfolio and worksheet questions to the satisfaction of the course tutor
- Undertake poolside teaching during the course
- As part of an external assessment, teach a 30 minute lesson to 4 learners
- Complete a 30 question multiple-choice paper with a unit pass mark of 7/10 per unit