STA Certificate in Swimming Teaching
The STA Certificate in Swimming Teaching aims to prepare holders to teach, without supervision, pupils of all levels.
Successful learners will have the opportunity to benefit from 12 months free CIMSPA Affiliate Membership usually costing £30.
- Available Regulators
Qualification Number: 600/3057/4
Title: STA Level 2 Certificate in Swimming Teaching
Credit Value: 17 Credits
Qualification Number: R241 04
Title: STA Professional Certificate in Teaching Swimming
Credit Value: 8 Credits
- Be 17 years of age or older
- Hold current membership of STA
- Hold the Safety Award for Teachers or acceptable equivalent
- Hold the STA Award in Swimming Teaching or acceptable equivalent (please note the ASA Level 1 Award in Aquatic Teaching is not an acceptable pre-requisite)
- Hold the STA Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults certificate or acceptable equivalent
Qualification certificates will not be issued until all pre-requisites have been supplied. If requested pre-requisites are not supplied within 12 months of the course end date, the qualification will expire.
- Validity of Award
This qualification does not expire.
To remain as an STA-approved swimming teacher, and to receive the benefit of STA public liability insurance, holders of this qualification are required to:
- Remain in membership of STA
- Keep their knowledge and skills up-to-date with regular CPDs
- Keep their pre-requisite lifesaving qualification in-date
- Regularly update their DBS check
- Length of Course
The course may be run over 4 days, but can also be delivered over a period of weeks, with the minimum of each training session being 2 hours.
- Mandatory Units
- Teaching Swimming, Lifesaving and Survival Techniques
- Understanding How to Develop Participants Through Coaching Sport
- Understanding the Fundamentals of Coaching Sport
- Assessment Criteria
- Complete a portfolio and worksheet questions to the satisfaction of the course tutor
- Undertake poolside teaching during the course
- As part of an external assessment, teach a 30 minute lesson to 4 learners
- Complete a 100 question multiple-choice paper with unit pass marks of 15/20, 15/20 and 45/60