Aquatic tutor status grants those with the appropriate pre-requisites the ability to deliver and assess STA’s swimming teaching qualifications within their specific discipline.
This tutor status course includes the STA Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualification.
This course covers:
- Demonstrating the ability to deliver technical theory topics in the chosen discipline
- Understanding how to organise and deliver an STA aquatic course
- Completing the STA Level 3 Award in Education and Training, and STA Level 3 Award in Assessing Vocationally Related Achievement qualifications (if this is already held, evidence must be provided to STA).
Length of Course
30 Recommended Guided Learning Hours.
- Continual assessment by the tutor
- Complete the portfolio to the satisfaction of the course tutor
- Be externally assessed demonstrating the ability to deliver a technical theory topic.
Upon successful completion of this course, an aquatic tutor may deliver the following courses:
|Swimming Teaching||Baby & Pre-School||People with Disabilities|
|STA Award in Swimming Teaching||Yes|
|STA Certificate in Swimming Teaching||Yes *|
|Baby and Pre-School Award||Yes|
|People with Disabilities||Yes|
|Safety Award for Teachers||Yes †||Yes †||Yes †|
* Tutor must first deliver one STA Award in Swimming Teaching course
† Tutor must first hold a valid Safety Award for Teachers certificate
Gaining Full Tutor Status
Upon completion of this course, and after completing any additional requirements, tutors are granted probationary status and in order to gain full tutor status and maintain it must:
- Within the first 24 months:
- Be moderated delivering your first course
- Shadow examine a course
- Be moderated conducting an examination
- Be moderated delivering a course every 3 years
- Deliver at least 1 course within a 3 year period.
Validity of Tutor Status
To maintain the validity of status as an STA tutor, tutors must:
- Deliver at least 1 course within a 3 year period
- Attend updates and a refresher course, as and when required by STA
- Be moderated tutoring once during each 3 year period (fee applicable)
- Be moderated examining once during each 3 year period (no fee applicable).
Interested? Before You Get Started…
You’ll need to make sure you’ve met the following requirements before you attend your course:
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Hold current membership of STA
- Hold a valid aquatic teaching qualification in the chosen discipline for a minimum of 2 years (for acceptable equivalents, please contact STA):
- Provide evidence of at least 200 hours of teaching experience in the chosen discipline
- Hold the Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults online learning certificate or acceptable equivalent
- Complete the Technical Competency Test for the chosen discipline
- Complete the Course Administration Unit