First aid tutor status grants those with the appropriate pre-requisites the ability to teach and assess Safety Training Award’s first aid qualifications.
This course covers:
- The roles, responsibilities and expectations of an STA tutor
- The roles, responsibilities and expectations of an STA assessor
- STA first aid qualifications requirements
- STA standards for delivery, assessing and paperwork
- STA awarding organisation requirements and expectations
- Demonstrating the ability to deliver technical theory topics
- Demonstrating the ability to perform first aid, resuscitation, automated external defibrillation and anaphylaxis skills
- How to organise and deliver an STA first aid course.
Length of Course
30 Recommended Guided Learning Hours.
- Demonstrate resuscitation on an approved manikin following the current guidelines
- Demonstrate a high standard of technical knowledge
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver and assess technical theory topics at the correct level using a variety of methods to engage and motivate learners
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver and assess a resuscitation session
- Demonstrate a high standard of presentation skills.
Gaining Full Tutor Status
Upon completion of this course, and after completing any additional requirements, tutors are granted probationary status and in order to gain full tutor status must:
- Be linked with an approved training centre
- Be successfully moderated face-to-face for a minimum of 4 hours delivering and assessing your first course; for new tutors, this moderation will be 6 hours as per the First Aid Forum terms of reference.
Upon successful completion of the probationary status, a first aid tutor may deliver the following qualifications:
- First Aid at Work
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- Paediatric First Aid Award
- Emergency Paediatric First Aid Award
- CPR and AED
Validity of Tutor Status
To maintain the validity of status as an STA tutor, tutors must:
- Attend updates and refresher courses, as and when required by STA
- Hold current membership of STA.
Interested? Before You Get Started…
You’ll need to make sure you’ve met the following requirements before you attend your course:
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Hold current membership of STA
- Hold a minimum of the Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualification or acceptable equivalent
- Hold the First Aid at Work qualification or acceptable equivalent
- Have occupational competence showing experience working within a first aid role