Lifesaving tutor status grants those with the appropriate pre-requisites the ability to teach and examine STA’s lifesaving qualifications, as well as select first aid qualifications.
This tutor status course includes the STA Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualification.
This course covers:
- Performing resuscitation on approved manikins following current guidelines
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver a poolside lesson, theory topic, and teach resuscitation
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver automated external defibrillation and backboard application
- Completing the STA Level 3 Award in Education and Training, STA Level 3 Award in Assessing Vocationally Related Achievement, and STA Level 3 Certificate in Assessing
Vocational Achievement qualifications (if this is already held, evidence must be provided to STA).
Length of Course
40 Recommended Guided Learning Hours.
- Continual assessment by the tutor
- Complete the portfolio to the satisfaction of the course tutor
- Perform resuscitation on an approved manikin following the current guidelines
- Be externally assessed demonstrating the ability to teach resuscitation, a poolside lesson, and deliver a theory topic.
Upon successful completion of this course, a lifesaving tutor may deliver the following courses:
- Any STA lifesaving qualification
- Optional units for Pool Lifeguard:
- Backboard Application Within Leisure Facilities
- Any STA first aid qualification if you hold a valid First Aid at Work qualification.
Gaining Full Tutor Status
Upon completion of this course, and after completing any additional requirements, tutors are granted probationary status and in order to gain full tutor status and maintain it must:
- Within the first 24 months:
- Be moderated delivering your first course, which must be either a Pool Lifeguard or Pool Emergency Responder
- Shadow examine a course
- Be moderated conducting an examination
- Be moderated delivering a course every 3 years.
Validity of Tutor Status
To maintain the validity of status as an STA tutor, tutors must:
- Attend updates and a refresher course, as and when required by STA
- Be moderated tutoring once during each 3 year period (fee applicable).
Interested? Before You Get Started…
You’ll need to make sure you’ve met the following requirements before you attend your course:
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Hold current membership of STA
- Hold the Pool Lifeguard or Pool Emergency Responder qualification or acceptable equivalent (please note that learners who only hold a Pool Emergency Responder will not be able to deliver Pool Lifeguard courses)
- Complete the lifesaving Technical Competency Test
- Complete the Course Administration Unit