Lifesaving tutor status grants those with the appropriate pre-requisites the ability to deliver and assess Safety Training Award’s lifesaving qualifications, as well as select first aid qualifications (if a valid first aid at work certificate is held).
This course covers:
- The roles, responsibilities and expectations of an STA tutor
- The roles, responsibilities and expectations of an STA assessor
- STA lifesaving qualifications requirements
- STA standards for delivery, assessing and paperwork
- STA awarding organisation requirements and expectations
- Demonstrating the ability to deliver technical theory topics
- Demonstrating the ability to perform practical pool, first aid, resuscitation and spinal skills
- How to organise and deliver an STA lifesaving course.
Length of Course
40 Recommended Guided Learning Hours.
- Demonstrate resuscitation on an approved manikin following the current guidelines
- Demonstrate a high standard of technical knowledge
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver and assess technical theory topics at the correct level using a variety of methods to engage and motivate learners
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver and assess a resuscitation session
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver and assess a poolside session
- Demonstrate a high standard of presentation skills.
Gaining Full Tutor Status
Upon completion of this course, and after completing any additional requirements, tutors are granted probationary status and in order to gain full tutor status must:
- Be linked with an approved training centre
- Be successfully moderated assessing your first assessment.
Upon successful completion of the probationary status, a lifesaving tutor may deliver the following qualifications:
- Pool Lifeguarding
- Pool Emergency Responder
- Safety Award for Teachers
- First Aid at Work
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- Paediatric First Aid Award
- Emergency Paediatric First Aid Award
- CPR and AED
Validity of Tutor Status
To maintain the validity of status as an STA tutor, tutors must:
- Attend updates and refresher courses, as and when required by STA
- Hold current membership of STA.
Interested? Before You Get Started…
You’ll need to make sure you’ve met the following requirements before you attend your course:
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Hold current membership of STA
- Hold a minimum of the Level 3 Award in Education and Training qualification or acceptable equivalent
- Hold the Pool Lifeguarding or Pool Emergency Responder qualification or acceptable equivalent (please note that learners who only hold a Pool Emergency Responder will not be able to deliver Pool Lifeguarding courses)
- Have occupational competence showing experience working within the leisure industry as a pool lifeguard or health club attendant