Are YOU Covered?

Here at STA, we constantly review the services and products that we make available to our members; this includes insurance, as we know it is essential for clubs, schools and individuals to have the correct cover. As part of our regular review, it has come to our attention that some members are unaware that their individual insurance policy does not cover their club or swim school business.

We have a long and very successful partnership with Ault Insurance, which ensures that the cover we provide for our members meets their specific requirements:

  • Individual members automatically qualify for public liability cover with an indemnity limit of £10 million, jointly underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited and Zurich Insurance.
  • For clubs and swim schools, a comprehensive and very competitive range of insurance packages are available. This now includes Swimsure, which offers one of the widest ranges of covers for clubs and swim schools in the UK and can be tailored to each business need.

However, the feedback we have received recently is that many clubs and schools are not taking out the policies they need to give them the appropriate insurance cover; instead they are relying on their individual membership cover to protect the swim school or club they run.

In light of this information, we need to clarify:

  • If an incident occurs at a swim school that gives rise to a claim from a third party against an instructor, your membership cover would almost certainly respond to the claim.
  • If a claim is made against the club or school itself, the membership cover will not indemnify the club or school.

It is crucial, therefore, that your club or school has the relevant covers in place – do not rely solely on your membership cover when running a club or swim school business. See here.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

STA is often asked by members if it is necessary to have employers’ liability insurance.

Ault Insurance admits there is some confusion about the need for this cover and advises the following:

  • Employers’ liability is a legal requirement but it is not, as is widely believed, reliant on whether or not you pay your staff
  • Anyone – such as an assistant who only receives expenses, a volunteer or a self-employed person – who works under the banner of your swim school is your responsibility and they are classed as in your employment. While they are in your charge and under your guidance, you will be exposed to employers’ liability.

If you are in any doubt or have any concerns about insurance for your swim school, give Ault Insurance a call and its specialist swimming brokers will give you the best advice available. Telephone 0121 553 4791 or email:

Association News

Join Our Mailing List

Stay up-to-date with the latest STA and leisure industry news by subscribing to our mailing list!


Are you looking for a job in leisure or have a vacancy you want to advertise for FREE?