Are you passionate about giving babies the best and most enjoyable experience in water?
With flexible teaching hours to fit around your lifestyle, you’ll enjoy the satisfaction of a work-life balance whilst teaching an incredible and important life skill.
The STA’s International Baby and Pre-School Teacher course provides learners with the knowledge and practical skills to teach babies to pre-schoolers in adult and child swimming lessons.
Tutor this Course
In order to apply for international tutor status, applicants will need to complete the STA International Course Tutor Application Form, be occupationally competent and have practical experience in the course they are applying to tutor.
In order for a status to be granted, applicants must:
- Be a member of STA
- Hold the accepted end user qualification in the tutor status being applied for:
- STA Certificate in Teaching Swimming (or accepted equivalent)
- STA Award in Aquatic Teaching – Baby and Pre-School Swimming (or accepted equivalent)
- STA Award in Pool Lifeguarding (or accepted equivalent).
- Provide evidence of experience within tutor status being applied for:
- Provide a witness statement of practical teaching hours for non-swimmers through to advanced swimmers
- Provide a witness statement of practical teaching hours for baby and pre-school swimming lessons
- Provide a witness statement of acting / working as a pool lifeguard.
Tutors are required to submit a 1 hour video of delivery on their first course. The video will be moderated by the STA to ensure all procedures and expectations are met. STA reserves the right to remove any tutor status if procedures or standards are not fulfilled.
Upon approval, applicants will be set up to register and administrate unregulated courses via STA Online, with full guidance detailing the process.
Applicants must ensure they have the most up to date international course e-manual(s), available to purchase from the STA Swim-Shop.
Email the completed application form, copies of relevant qualification certificates and evidence of experience to email@example.com.
Learners are required to teach a range of babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers, 0 – 4 years old, with their accompanying adults throughout the course.
On successful completion of the course, learners will be issued with a STA International Baby and Pre-School Teacher Certificate.
On successful completion of the course, learners will:
- Understand the role of a baby and pre-school teacher
- Understand and be able to plan baby and pre-school lessons
- Be able to produce a scheme of work and lesson plan
- Be able to teach baby and pre-school aquatic activities and the correct holds
- Understand and be able to evaluate a baby and pre-school lesson
- Understand the benefits of baby and pre-school swimming
- Know the hygiene and safety requirements for baby and pre-school swimming
- Understand the importance of communication within a baby and pre-school lesson
- Know the stages of child development.
- Be 18 years old at the time of the assessment
- Hold STA membership.
It is recommended learners undertake a safeguarding course applicable to the country they are working within.
- Learners will be assessed on their theoretical knowledge and practical teaching
- Learners must correctly answer 7 out of 10 verbal questions, complete 1 lesson plan and 1 scheme of work to the satisfaction of the tutor
- Throughout the course, learners will undertake practical teaching on a range of babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers in an adult and child setting
- For the practical assessment, learners are required to teach a 15-minute swimming lesson to a small group of pairs. The lesson must be taught independently by the learner without prompting or guidance from the tutor.